Glenn Chertow, MD, MPH, Norman S. Coplin/Satellite Healthcare Professor, Department of Medicine; Chief, Division of Nephrology, Stanford University School of Medicine
Research Description: Dr. Chertow is a heralded clinical investigator with a productive research program focused on improving care for persons with acute and chronic kidney disease (CKD) especially in the setting of diabetes. His research interests include clinical epidemiology, health-services research, decision sciences and clinical trials in acute and chronic kidney disease. Dr. Chertow has served or is currently serving in leadership roles for NIDDK, NHLBI, and VA-sponsored cohort studies and clinical trials, including HEMO, CRIC, DAC, HFMC, ATN, FHN, SPRINT, PRESERVE, ISCHEMIA, CURE-GN and TiME, and for several industry-sponsored clinical trials including TREAT, EVOLVE, BEACON and SYMPLICITY. Dr. Chertow served on the Data Safety and Monitoring Board for a series of dapaglaflozin clinical trials, and for several other clinical trials of investigational drugs for diabetes and diabetic kidney disease. Dr. Chertow was elected to the Association of American Physicians and to the National Academy of Medicine in 2015. He has also trained and mentored scientists and members of the Stanford DRC, including Drs. T. Chang and V. Bhalla.
Selected relevant publications (Stanford DRC Members in BOLD):
1. Bhalla V, Velez MG, Chertow GM, “A Transcriptional Blueprint for Human and Murine Diabetic Kidney Disease”, Diabetes 62:31-3, 2013.
2. Lin JH, Zhang JJ, Lin SL, Chertow GM. Design of a phase 2 clinical trial of an ASK1 inhibitor, GS-4997, in patients with diabetic kidney disease. Nephron. 2015;129(1):29-33.
3. Chertow GM, de Zeeuw D; BEACON Steering Committee. Bardoxolone methyl in type 2 diabetes and advanced chronic kidney disease. N Engl J Med. 2014 May 1;370(18):1768.
4. de Zeeuw D, Akizawa T, Audhya P, Bakris GL, Chin M, Christ-Schmidt H, Goldsberry A, Houser M, Krauth M, Lambers Heerspink HJ, McMurray JJ, Meyer CJ, Parving HH, Remuzzi G, Toto RD, Vaziri ND, Wanner C, Wittes J, Wrolstad D, Chertow GM; BEACON Trial Investigators. Bardoxolone methyl in type 2 diabetes and stage 4 chronic kidney disease. N Engl J Med. 2013 Dec 26;369(26):2492-503.
5. Weinberg AE, Patel CJ, Chertow GM, Leppert JT. Diabetic severity and risk of kidney stone disease. Eur Urol. 2014 Jan;65(1):242-7.
6. Weinberg AE, Eisenberg M, Patel CJ, Chertow GM, Leppert JT. Diabetes severity, metabolic syndrome, and the risk of erectile dysfunction. J Sex Med. 2013 Dec;10(12):3102-9.
7. Lambers Heerspink HJ, Chertow GM, Akizawa T,..(>5), Wittes J, Wrolstad D, de Zeeuw D. Baseline characteristics in the Bardoxolone methyl EvAluation in patients with Chronic kidney disease and type 2 diabetes mellitus: the Occurrence of renal eveNts (BEACON) trial. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2013. 28(11):2841-50.
de Zeeuw D, …(>5), Warnock DG, Wittes J, Chertow GM. Rationale and trial design of Bardoxolone Methyl Evaluation in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease and Type 2 Diabetes: the Occurrence of Renal Events (BEACON). Am J Nephrol. 2013;37(3):212-22.
[CGM1]Also worked/published with Sun Kim, Randy Stafford, Marcia Stefanick and John Iaoiniddis