John P.A. Ioannidis, MD DSc, C.F. Rehnborg Chair in Disease Prevention, Professor, Departments of Medicine and Health Research and Policy, Stanford University School of Medicine; Professor, Department of Statistics (by courtesy), Stanford University School of Humanities & Sciences
Research Description: Dr. Ioannidis has a long-standing track record in methodological, empirical, and applied research on the integration of evidence and large-scale evidence. He is particularly interested in developing and appraising the strengths and weaknesses of analytical methods and study designs and ways of accumulating and integrating information in ways that reduce bias and improve research efficiency. His work related to diabetes includes large-scale exposure-wide assessments of associations in diabetes and umbrella reviews, diabetes as an outcome and eligibility criterion in randomized trials and study design for diabetes-related research. He has been a long-term collaborator with many of the Stanford DRC investigators in studies focused on genetics, prevention, methods and cardiovascular risk factors including diabetes.
Selected relevant publications (Stanford DRC members in BOLD):
- Saquib N, Saquib J, Ioannidis JP. Does screening for disease save lives in asymptomatic adults? Systematic review of meta-analyses and randomized trials. Int J Epidemiol. 44(1):264-77, 2015.
- Tsilidis KK, Kasimis JC, Lopez DS, Ntzani EE, Ioannidis JP. Type 2 diabetes and cancer: umbrella review of meta-analyses of observational studies. BMJ 350:g7607. doi: 10.1136/bmj.g7607, 2015.
- Dewey FE, Grove ME, Pan C, Goldstein BA, Bernstein JA, Chaib H, Merker JD, Goldfeder RL, Enns GM4, David SP, Pakdaman N, Ormond KE, Caleshu C, Kingham K, Klein TE, Whirl-Carrillo M, Sakamoto K, Wheeler MT, Butte AJ, Ford JM, Boxer L, Ioannidis JP, Yeung AC, Altman RB, Assimes TL, Snyder M, Ashley EA, Quertermous T. Clinical interpretation and implications of whole-genome sequencing. JAMA. 2014 Mar 12;311(10):1035-45.
- Ioannidis JP, Greenland S, Hlatky MA, Khoury MJ, Macleod MR, Moher D, Schulz KF, Tibshirani R. Increasing value and reducing waste in research design, conduct, and analysis. Lancet. 2014 Jan 11;383(9912):166-75.
- Tsilidis KK, Capothanassi D, Allen NE, Rizos EC, Lopez DS, van Veldhoven K, Sacerdote C, Ashby D, Vineis P, Tzoulaki I, Ioannidis JP. Metformin does not affect cancer risk: a cohort study in the U.K. Clinical Practice Research Datalink analyzed like an intention-to-treat trial. Diabetes Care 37(9):2522-32, 2014.
- Naci H, Ioannidis JP. Comparative effectiveness of exercise and drug interventions on mortality outcomes: metaepidemiological study. BMJ. 2013 Oct 1;347:f5577. doi: 10.1136/bmj.f5577
- Patel CJ, Chen R, Kodama K, Ioannidis JP, Butte AJ. Systematic identification of interaction effects between validated genome- and environment-wide associations on Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc. 135, 2013.
- Patel CJ, Chen R, Kodama K, Ioannidis JP, Butte AJ. Systematic identification of interaction effects between genome- and environment-wide associations in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Hum Genet 132:495-508, 2013.
- Orozco G, Ioannidis JP, Morris A, Zeggini E; DIAGRAM consortium.. Sex-specific differences in effect size estimates at established complex trait loci. Int J Epidemiol. 2012 Oct;41(5):1376-82. doi: 10.1093/ije/dys104.