Joy Y. Wu, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Gerontology and Metabolism, Stanford University School of Medicine
Research Description: Dr. Wu’s research has made important contributions to our understanding of parathyroid hormone signaling pathways in bone forming osteoblasts and their roles in mesenchymal lineage commitment to bone and fat. She has developed methods to investigate the interactions between osteoblast differentiation, marrow fat accumulation, and bone marrow hematopoiesis. This includes studies in subjects with diabetes.
Selected relevant publications (Stanford DRC Members in BOLD):
- Wu JY*, Aarnisalo P, Bastepe M, Sinha P, Purton LE, Chen M, Poulton IJ, Sims NA, Weinstein LS, Kronenberg HM. Gs enhances commitment of mesenchymal progenitors to the osteoblast lineage but restrains osteoblast differentiation in mice. Journal of Clinical Investigation 2011, 121:3492-504. (*co-corresponding author) PMCID: PMC3163961.
- Sinha P, Aarnisalo P, Chubb R, Ono N, Fulzele K, Selig M, Saeed H, Chen M, Weinstein LS, Divieti Pajevic P, Kronenberg HM, and Wu JY. Loss of Gs early in the osteoblast lineage favors adipogenic differentiation of mesenchymal progenitors and committed osteoblast precursors. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2014, 29:2414-2426. PMCID: PMC4220542.
- Tan SH, Senarath-Yapa K, Chung MT, Longaker MT, Wu JY, and Nusse R. Wnts produced by Osterix-expressing osteolineage cells regulate their proliferation and differentiation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2014, E5262-71. PMCID: PMC4267375.
- Yuan K, Orcholski M, Panaroni C, Shuffle EM, Huang NF, Jiang X, Tian W, Vladar EK, Wang L, Nicolls, MR, Wu JY, and de Jesus Perez V. Activation of the Wnt/planar Cell Polarity Pathway Is Required for Pericyte Recruitment during Pulmonary Angiogenesis. American Journal of Pathology 2015, 185:69-84. PMCID: PMC4278244.
- Sinha P, Aarnisalo P, Chubb R, Poulton IJ, Guo J, Nachtrab G, Kimura T, Swami S, Saeed H, Chen M, Weinstein LS, Schipani E, Sims NA, Kronenberg HM, Wu JY. Loss of Gsα in the postnatal skeleton leads to low bone mass and a blunted response to anabolic parathyroid hormone therapy. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2016, 291:1631-42. PMID: 26598522.
- Panaroni C, Tzeng YS, Saeed H and Wu JY. Mesenchymal progenitors and the osteoblast lineage in bone marrow hematopoietic niches. Current Osteoporosis Reports, 2014, 12:22-32. PMCID: PMC4077781.
- Wu JY. Pluripotent stem cells and skeletal regeneration - promise and potential. Current Osteoporosis Reports, 2015, 13:342-350. PMCID: PMC4560658.
- Panaroni C, Fulzele K, Saini V, Chubb R, Divieti Pajevic P, Wu JY. PTH signaling in osteoprogenitors is essential for B lymphocyte differentiation and mobilization. The Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2015, 30:2273-86. PMID: 26191777. PMCID: in process.
- Valerrábano RV, Lui LY, Lee J, Cummings SR, Orwoll ES, Hoffman AR, Wu JY. Bone density loss is associated with blood cell counts. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2016, in press. PMID: 27653240.