Yaping Joyce Liao, MD, PhD, Associate Professor of Ophthalmology and (by courtesy) of Neurology; Director, Neuro-ophthalmology, Byers Eye Institute and Stanford University School of Medicine.
Research Description: Dr. Liao’s research’s goal is to identify effective treatment for patients with diabetes and vision loss. Having diabetes increases the risk of vision loss since diabetes is one of the most common risk factors for central nervous system ischemia due to stroke and optic nerve ischemia called anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (AION), the most common acute optic neuropathy in those older than 50. Central nervous system ischemia in the setting of diabetes is attributed to macro- and microvascular damage, activation of immune pathways, hematologic abnormality, and metabolic effects of hyperglycemia. Dr. Liao’s group has evaluated key events following optic nerve ischemia in diabetes and identified potential targets and treatment modalities. They are investigating the effect of glucose control and treatment with potential neuroprotective agents that may salvage retinal ganglion cells or optic nerve axons following injury, using in vitro as well as non-invasive, serial in vivo imaging techniques including spectral-domain optical coherence tomography and fluorescence confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscopy. They are also investigating changes in retinal ganglion axon after ischemic optic neuropathy, including changes in axonal transport, which lead to axonal and somatic degeneration. Dr. Liao is leading a Phase 2/3, Randomized, Double-Masked, Sham-Controlled Trial of QPI-1007 Delivered By Single or Multi-Dose Intra-vitreal Injection(s) to Subjects With Acute Nonarteritic Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy. Dr. Liao was also a recipient this year of a Pilot and Feasibility award from the Stanford DRC.
Selected relevant publications (Stanford DRC Members in BOLD):
- Goldberg, J. L., Guido, W., and The Agi Workshop Participants (including YJ Liao). (2016) Report on the National Eye Institute Audacious Goals Initiative: Regenerating the Optic Nerve. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual science. 57 (3): 1271-1275 26990163.
- Shariati MA, Ho JK, Liao YJ. (2015) Optical coherence tomography study of retinal changes in normal aging and after Ischemia. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences. (2014) 20;14-15145.
- Lee GH, Stanford MP, Shariati MA, Ma J, Liao YJ. (2014) Severe, early axonal degeneration following experimental anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences. 55: 7111-7118.
- Yu C, Ho JK, Liao YJ. (2014) Subretinal fluid is common in experimental anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. Eye. (26 September 2014) | doi:10.1038/eye.2014.220.
- Ho JK, Stanford M, Shariati MA, Dalal R, Liao YJ. (2013) Optical coherence tomography study of experimental anterior ischemic optic neuropathy and histologic confirmation. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences 54:5981-5988
- Pangratz-Fuehrer S, Kaur K, Ousman S, Steinman L, Liao YJ. (2011) Functional rescue of experimental ischemic optic neuropathy with B-crystallin. Eye. 25(6): 809-17.