Marcia L. Stefanick, PhD, Professor of Medicine, Stanford Prevention Research Center; Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stanford University School of Medicine
Research Description: Dr. Stefanick has conducted many randomized, controlled trials (RCTs) of physical activity, diet, and weight loss for cardiovascular (CV) disease risk, particularly fasting lipoproteins, glucose, and blood pressure, of menopausal hormones with CV (cancer, diabetes risk and fracture) outcomes, e.g. PEPI, HERS, Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) trials, and large diet trials with breast (and other) cancer outcomes, e.g. WHI and WHEL (NCI). She is an expert in women’s health, including cognitive function, and in aging, as PI of the WHI (women aged 50-79 in 1994-1998) and Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study (men aged 65+ in 2000-2002), which have continued follow-up with multiple, complex clinic visits, biomarkers, and outcomes.
Selected relevant publications (Stanford DRC Members in BOLD):
- Everson-Rose S, Paudel M, Taylor B, Dam T, Cawthon PM, LeBlanc E, Strotmeyer ES, Cauley JA, Stefanick ML, Barrett-Connor E, Ensrud KE. Metabolic syndrome and physical performance In elderly men: the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study. J Am Geriatr Soc 2011; 59:1376–1384
- Ma Y, Hebert JR, Manson JE, Balasubramanian R, Liu S, Lamonte M, Bird CE, Ockene JK, Qiao Y, Olendzki B, Schneider KL, Rosal MC, Sepavich DM, Wactawski-Wende J, Stefanick ML, Phillips LS, Ockene IS, Kaplan RC, Sarto GE, Garcia L, Howard BV. Determinants of racial/ethnic disparities in incidence of clinical diabetes in postmenopausal women in the U.S.: the Women’s Health Initiative 1993-2009. Diabetes Care 2012 November; 35(11): 2226–2234.
- Miljkovic I, Cauley JA, Wang PY, Holton KF. Lee CG, Sheu Y, Barrett-Connor E, Hoffman AR, Lewis CB, Orwoll ES, Stefanick ML, Strotmeyer ES, Marshall LM. Abdominal myosteatosis is independently associated with hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance among older men without diabetes. Obesity 2013 Oct; 21(10):2118-25
- Schneider KL, Andrews D, Hovey K, Sequin R, Manini T, LaMonte M, Margolis K, Waring M, Ning Y, Sims S, Ma Yunsheng, Ockene J, Stefanick ML, Pagoto S. Change in physical activity after a diabetes diagnosis: opportunity for intervention. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2014 Jan;46(1):84-91.
- Manini TM, Lamonte MJ, Seguin RA, Manson JE, Hingle M, Garcia L, Stefanick ML, Rodriguez B, Sims S, Song Y, Limacher M. Modifying effect of obesity on the association between sitting time and incident diabetes in the post-menopausal women Obesity 2014; Apr;22(4): 1133-41.
- Schmiegelow MD, Hedlin H, Stefanick ML, Mackey RH, Allison M, Martin LW, Robinson JG, Hlatky MA. Insulin resistance and risk of cardiovascular disease in postmenopausal women - A cohort study from the Women’s Health Initiative. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2015 May;8(3):309-16.
- Rissling MB, Gray KE, Ulmer CS, Martin JL, Zaslavsky O, Gray SL, Hale L, Zeitzer JM, Naughton M, Woods NF, LaCroix A, Calhoun PS, Stefanick M, Weitlauf JC. Sleep disturbance, diabetes and cardiovascular disease in postmenopausal Veteran women. Gerontologist. 2016 Feb;56 Suppl 1:S54-66.