Mark A. Hlatky, MD, Professor, Departments of Health Research and Policy and Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine; Fellow in the Center for Healthcare Policy and Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research (CHP/PCOR) in the Freeman Spogli Institute, Stanford University
Research Description: Dr. Hlatky has a long-standing interest in the relationship between diabetes and cardiovascular disease, and has worked with both clinical databases and randomized clinical trials to investigate these associations. In particular, his leadership of a collaborative data analysis of 10 randomized trials confirmed the importance of diabetes as a significant modifier of the effectiveness of coronary revascularization, and the particular benefit of coronary bypass surgery for patients with diabetes and multi-vessel coronary disease. He was a member of the steering committee of the BARI 2D trial, testing alternative strategies to manage diabetes and coronary disease in patients with both disorders. He also has experience with establishing and analyzing clinical databases, and in the design and conduct of clinical research studies.
Selected relevant publications (Stanford DRC Members in BOLD):
- Iribarren C, Chandra M, Rana JS, Hlatky MA, Fortmann SP, Quertermous T, Go AS. High-sensitivity cardiac troponin I and incident coronary heart disease among asymptomatic older adults. Heart. Aug 1;102(15):1177-82, 2016.
- Singh A, Schaff HV, Mori Brooks M, Hlatky MA, Wisniewski SR, Frye RL, Sako EY; BARI 2D Study Group.. On-pump versus off-pump coronary artery bypass graft surgery among patients with type 2 diabetes in the Bypass Angioplasty Revascularization Investigation 2 Diabetes trial. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. Feb;49(2):406-16, 2016.
- Everett BM, Brooks MM, Vlachos HE, Chaitman BR, Frye RL, Bhatt DL; BARI 2D Study Group..(Hlatky MA) Troponin and Cardiac Events in Stable Ischemic Heart Disease and Diabetes. N Engl J Med. Aug 13;373(7):610-20, 2015.
- Schmiegelow MD, Hedlin H, Mackey RH, Martin LW, Vitolins MZ, Stefanick ML, Perez MV, Allison M, Hlatky MA. Race and ethnicity, obesity, metabolic health, and risk of cardiovascular disease in postmenopausal women. J Am Heart Assoc. May 20;4(5), 2015.
- Hlatky MA. Compelling evidence for coronary-bypass surgery in patients with diabetes. N Engl J Med. Dec 20;367(25):2437-8, 2012.