Michael T. Longaker, M.D., M.B.A. Deane P. and Louise Mitchell Professor, Stanford University School of Medicine: Director, Children’s Surgical Research Laboratories; Co-Director, Institute of Stem Cell Research and Regenerative Medicine; Director, Program in Regenerative Medicine
Research Description: Dr. Longaker’s diabetes research program over the past 20 years has made important contributions in cranial suture biology, bone tissue engineering, and wound healing. This includes recent work on the effects of diabetes on stem cells in bone. Along with his clinical and research experience, he has directed large research programs at Stanford University for the past 15 years. He is the Director of the Campus-wide Program in Regenerative Medicine with over 150 faculty, and the Co-Director of the Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine (SCBRM) which supports the SDRC P&F award program. In summary, Dr. Longaker has demonstrated a record of successful and productive research projects in the areas of skeletal stem cells, adipose-derived stromal cells, craniofacial biology, bone tissue engineering, and wound repair, and his experience and expertise have prepared him to be an active participant in the Stanford Diabetes Research Center.
Selected relevant publications (Stanford DRC members in BOLD):
- Gurtner GC, Werner S, Barrandon Y, Longaker MT. Wound repair and regeneration. Nature. 2008;453(7193):314-21. doi: 10.1038/nature07039. PubMed PMID: 18480812
- Yuval Rinkevich, Graham G. Walmsley, Michael S. Hu, Zeshaan N. Maan, Aaron M. Newman, Micha Drukker, Michael Januszyk, Geoffrey C. Gurtner, Peter H. Lorenz, Irving L. Weissman, Michael T. Longaker. Identification and targeted inhibition of a fibroblast lineage responsible for skin scarring and cancer stroma. Science. 2015;348(6232):aaa2151. doi: 10.1126/science.aaa2151.
- Chan CK, Seo EY, Chen JY, Lo D, McArdle A, Sinha R, Tevlin R, Seita J, Vincent-Thompkins J, Wearda T, Lu WJ, Senartha-Yapa K, Chung MT, Marecic O, Tran M, Yan KS, Upton R, Walmsley GG, Lee AS, Sahoo D, Kuo C. Weissman L, Longaker MT: Identification and specification of the mouse skeletal stem cell. Cell 2015; 160: 285-298. PubMed PMID: 25594184; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4297645.
- Marecic O, Tevlin R, McArdle A, Seo EY, Wearda T, Duldulao C, Walmsley GG, Nguyen A, Weissman IL, Chan CK, Longaker MT: Identification and characterization of an injury-induced skeletal progenitor. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2015; 112(32):9920-5. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1513066112. PubMed PMID: 26216955; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4538608.
- Tevlin R, Seo EY, Marecic O, McArdle A, T Xinming, Zimdahl B, Malkovskly A, Sinha R, Gulati G, Li X, Wearda T, Morganti R, Lopez M, Ransom RC, Duldulao CR, Rodrigues M, Nguyen A, Januszyk M, Maan Z, Paik K, Yapa KS, Rajadas J, Wan DC, Gurtner GC, Snyder M, Beachy PA, Yang F, Goodman SB, Weissman IL, Chan CK, Longaker MT. Pharmacological rescue of diabetic skeletal stem cell niches. Science Translational Medicine. 2017; 9(372). doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aag2809