Paul L. Bollyky, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor, Departments of Medicine and Microbiology & Immunology, Stanford University School of Medicine
Research Description: Dr. Bollyky’s lab studies how immune responses are regulated within injured and infected tissues, with an emphasis on autoimmune diabetes and diabetic wounds. Their goals are to understand why autoimmunity happens and to develop innovative strategies to promote immune tolerance. They are a translational immunology lab and work with both human tissues as well as in animal models of diabetes. In addition to his research program, Dr. Bollyky is a physician specializing in infectious diseases. He is co-leader of the Immunology and Transplant Research Affinity Group in the SDRC.
Selected relevant publications (Stanford DRC Members in BOLD):
1. PL Bollyky, RP Wu, BA Falk, JD Lord, SA Long, A Preisinger, B Teng, GE Holt, NE Standifer, KR Braun, PL Samuels, et al., Extracellular matrix components guide induction of IL-10 producing regulatory T-cells (TR1) from effector memory T-cell precursors. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108:7938-43, 2011.
2. N Nagy, HF Kuipers, AR Frymoyer, H Ishak, JB Bollyky, TN Wight, and PL Bollyky. 4-Methylumbelliferone Treatment and Hyaluronan Inhibition as a Therapeutic Strategy in Inflammation, Autoimmunity, and Cancer. Frontiers in Immunology 6:123. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2015.00123, 2015.
3. M Bogdani, S Potter-Perigo, P Johnson, AJ Day, N Nagy, PL Bollyky, TN Wight. The Extracellular Matrix Component Hyaluronan Accumulates in Human Type 1 Diabetic Islets and Lymphoid Tissues and Associates with Inflammatory Cells in Insulitis. Diabetes 63:2727-43, 2014.
4. N Nagy, G Kaber, PY Johnson, JA Gebe, A Preisinger, BA Falk, MD Gooden, RB Vernon, M Bogdani, HF Kuipers, AJ Day, DJ Campbell, TN Wight and PL Bollyky. Inhibition of Hyaluronan Synthesis Restores Immune Tolerance During Autoimmune Insulitis. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2015, Oct 1;125(10):3928-40. doi: 10.1172/JCI79271.
5. HF Kuipers, N Nagy, SM Ruppert, VG Sunkari, PL Marshall, JA Gebe, HD Ishak, SG Keswani, J Bollyky, AR Frymoyer, TN Wight, L Steinman and PL Bollyky. The Pharmacokinetics and Dosing of Oral 4- Methylumbelliferone for Inhibition of Hyaluronan Synthesis in Mice. Clinical and Experimental Immunology 2016 May 24. doi: 10.1111/cei.12815.