Philip S. Tsao, PhD, Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine; Associate Chief of Research & Development, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System
Research Description: Dr. Tsao’s research program has focused on the molecular underpinnings of cardiovascular disease with emphasis in the role of risk factors such as insulin resistance and diabetes. His group has utilized in vitro, ex vivo, and in vivo techniques to investigate diabetic vascular inflammation and its underlying mechanisms. In addition, they have leveraged transcriptional profiling to describe and delineate pathways that have significant roles in vascular disease. Importantly, they have continually collaborated with several members of the SDRC, including recent work with Seung Kim on human islet vascular endothelial changes in type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Selected relevant publications (Stanford DRC Members in BOLD):
- Yue P, Jin H, Xu S, Aillaud M, Deng AC, Azuma J, Kundu RK, Reaven GM, Quertermous T, Tsao PS. Apelin decreases lipolysis via G(q), G(i), and AMPK-Dependent Mechanisms. Endocrinology 2011;152(1):59-68.
- Maegdefessel L, Azuma J, Toh R, Deng A, Merk DR, Raiesdana A, Leeper NJ, Raaz U, Schoelmerich AM, McConnell MV, Dalman RL, Spin JM, Tsao PS. MicroRNA-21 blocks abdominal aortic aneurysm development and nicotine-augmented expansion. Sci Transl Med 2012; 4: 122ra22.
- Maegdefessel L, Spin JM, Raaz U, Eken SM, Toh R, Azuma J, Adam M, Nagakami F, Heymann HM, Chernugobova E, Jin H, Roy J, Hultgren R, Caidahl K, Schrepfer S, Hamsten A, Eriksson P, McConnell MV, Dalman RL, Tsao PS. miR-24 limits aortic vascular inflammation and murine abdominal aneurysm development. Nature Comm 2014; 5: 5214 doi: 10.1038/ncomms6214.
- Knowles JW, Xie W, Zhang Z, Chennemsetty I, Assimes TL, Paananen J, Hansson O, Pankow J, Goodarzi MO, Carcamo-Orive I, Morris AP, Chen YI, Mäkinen VP, Ganna A, Majahan A, Guo X, Abbasi F, Greenawalt DM, Lum P, Molony C, Lind L, Lindgren C, Raffel LJ, Tsao PS, Schadt EE, Rotter JI, Sinaiko A, Reaven G, Yang X, Hsiung CA, Groop L, Cordell HJ, Laakso M, Hao K, Ingelsson E, Fraling TM, Weedon MN, Walker M, Quertermous T. Identification and validation of N-acetyltransferase 2 as an insulin sensitivity gene. J Clin Invest 2015; 125: 1739-1751.
- Raaz U, Schellinger IN, Chernogubova E, Warnecke C, Kayama Y, Penov K, Hennigs JK, Salomons FA, Eken SM, Emrich FC, Zheng WH, Adam M, Jagger A, Nakagami F, Toh R, Toyama K, Deng A, Buerke M, Maegdefessel L, Hasenfuss G, Spin JM, Tsao PS. Transcription Factor Runx2 Promotes Aortic Fibrosis and Stiffness in Type 2 Diabetes. 2015. Circ Res 117(6):513-24.