Seung K. Kim, MD, PhD, Professor of Developmental Biology and (by courtesy) of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine
Research Description: Dr. Kim’s diabetes research program over the past 20 years has made important contributions in several models, including fruit flies, mice and humans. He has innovated methods for studying pancreas and islet biology in these models, and discovered cellular, molecular and genetic mechanisms governing growth, cell fate and development and function of endocrine and exocrine cells in mouse and human pancreas. His collaborations in these areas are extensive and productive. Dr. Kim leads or has led multi-investigator research and training programs, and is an ideal investigator to serve as the Stanford DRC Director.
Selected relevant publications (Stanford DRC members in BOLD):
1. Goodyer W, Gu X, Liu Y, Bottino R, Crabtree GR, Kim SK. 2012. Neonatal b-cell development in Mice and humans is regulated by calcineurin/NFAT. Dev Cell 23: 21-34.
2. T. Sugiyama , Benitez CM, Ghodasara A, Liu L, McLean GW, Lee J, Blauwkamp TA, Nusse R, Wright CVE, Gu G, and Kim SK. 2013. Reconstituting pancreas development from purified progenitor cells reveals genes essential for islet differentiation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 110:12691-12696.
3. RW Alfa, Park S, Skelly KR, Poffenberger G, Jain N, Gu X, Kockel L, Wang J, Liu Y, Powers AC, Kim SK. 2015. Suppression of Insulin Production and Secretion by a Decretin Hormone. Cell Metab 21:323-333.
4. Arda HE, Li L, Tsai J, Torre EA, Rosli Y, Peiris H, Spitale RC, Dai C, Gu X, Qu K, Wang P, Wang J, Grompe M, Scharfmann R, Snyder MS, Bottino R, Powers AC, Chang HY, Kim SK. 2016. Age-dependent pancreatic gene regulation reveals mechanisms governing human b-cell function. Cell Metab 23: 909-920.
5. Chakravarthy H, Gu X, Enge M, Dai X, Wang Y, Damond N, Downie C, Liu K, Wang J, Xing Y, Chera S, Thorel F, Quake S, Oberholzer J, MacDonald PE, Herrera PL, and Kim SK. 2016. Converting adult pancreatic α-cells into β-cells by targeting both Dnmt1 and Arx. 2017. Cell Metabolism, in press.