Tara I. Chang, MD, MS, Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Stanford University School of Medicine
Research Description: Diabetes mellitus and hypertension are two major risk factors for both cardiovascular disease and chronic kidney disease (CKD), yet patients with significant CKD are often excluded from studies in these areas. Dr. Chang’s research uses advanced epidemiological methods to investigate the management of diabetes mellitus, hypertension and cardiovascular disease in CKD to ultimately improve their clinical outcomes. In addition to collaborating with Stanford DRC members listed below, Dr. Chang is Co-National Leader in the Evaluation of the Effects of Canagliflozin on Renal and Cardiovascular Outcomes in Participants with Diabetic Nephropathy (CREDENCE): NCT02065791.
Selected relevant publications (Stanford DRC Members in BOLD):
1. Chang TI, Abdalla S, London GM, Block GA, Correa-Rotter R, Drueke, TB, Floege, J, Herzog CA, Mahaffey KW, Moe SM, Parfrey PS, Wheeler DC, Dehmel B, Goodman WG, Chertow GM. The effects of cinacalcet on blood pressure, mortality and cardiovascular endpoints in the EVOLVE trial. J Hum Hypertens 2016; 30: 204-9.
2. Chang TI, Evans G, Cheung AK, Cushman WC, Diamond MJ, Dwyer JP, Huan Y, Kitzman D, Kostis JB, Oparil S, Rastogi A, Roumie C, Sahay R, Stafford RS, Taylor AA, Wright Jr., JT, Chertow GM, for the SPRINT Study Research Group. Patterns and correlates of baseline thiazide-type diuretic prescription in the systolic blood pressure intervention trial (SPRINT). Hypertension 2016; 67: 550-5. PMID: 26865200.
3. Chang TI, Zheng Y, Montez-Rath ME, Winkelmayer WC. Antihypertensive medication use in older patients transitioning from chronic kidney disease to end-stage renal disease on dialysis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2016; 11:1401-12.
4. Andersson C, Shilane D, Go AS, Chang TI, Kazi D, Solomon MD, Boothroyd DB, Hlatky MA. Beta-blocker therapy and cardiac events among patients with newly diagnosed coronary heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 64: 247-52.
5. Chang TI, Flythe J, Brunelli SM, Muntner PM, Greene T, Cheung AK, Chertow GM. Visit-to-visit systolic blood pressure variability and outcomes in hemodialysis. J Hum Hypertens 2013, 28: 18-24.
Chang TI, Leong TK, Kazi SD, Lee H, Hlatky MA, Go AS. Comparative effectiveness of coronary artery bypass grafting and percutaneous coronary intervention for multivessel coronary disease in a community-based population with chronic kidney disease. Am Heart J 2013; 165: 800-808.