Tracey McLaughlin, MD, MS, Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Gerontology and Metabolism, Stanford University School of Medicine
Research Description: Dr. McLaughlin’s research program over the past 18 years has made important contributions to our understanding of the relationship been obesity and insulin resistance. Early studies defined the metabolic heterogeneity in overweight to moderately obese individuals and characterized responses in cardiometabolic risk factors to various dietary interventions. More recent studies include detailed analyses of adipose tissue/cells and how they respond to dietary and weight loss/gain manipulations. Her laboratory is actively committed to collaborating with multiple basic science laboratories at Stanford to yield innovative and transformative research related to the biology of human adipose tissue and its role in insulin resistance. In addition, Dr. McLaughlin co-directs the SDRC Clinical & Translational Research Core.
Selected relevant publications (Stanford DRC Members in BOLD):
- Winer DA, Winer S, Shen L, Wadia PP, Yantha J, Palster G, Tsui H, Wu P, Davidson MG, Alonso MN, Leong Sweixian, Glassford A, Caimoll M, Tedder TF, McLaughlin T, Miklos D, Dosch HM, Engleman EG. B Lymphocytes Promote Insulin Resistance through Modulation of T Lymphocytes and Production of Pathogenic IgG Antibody. Nature Medicine 17:610-7. 2011.
- Snyder M, McLaughlin T, et al. The Integrative HMP Research Network Consortium. The Integrative Human Microbiome Project: Dynamic Analysis of Microbiome-Host Omics Profiles during Periods of Human Health and Disease. Cell Host & Microbe 16: 291-303, 2014.
- McLaughlin T, Craig C, Liu LF, Perelman D, Allister C, Spielman D, Cushman SW. Adipose Cell Size and Regional Fat Deposition as Predictors of Metabolic Response to Overfeeding in Insulin-Resistant and Insulin-Sensitive Humans. Diabetes 65:1245-54, 2016.
- Wong JC, Kreuger KC, Costa MJ, Aggarwal A, Du H, McLaughlin TL, Feldman BJ. A glucocorticoid- and diet-responsive pathway toggles adipocyte precursor cell activity in vivo. Sci Signal. 2016, 9(451):ra103.
- McLaughlin T, Ackerman SE, Shen L, Engleman E. 2017. Role of innate and adaptive immunity in obesity-associated insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. J. Clin. Invest. 127(1):5-13.