Walter G. Park, MD, MS, Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Stanford University School of Medicine; Medical Director, Benign Pancreas Program, Stanford Hospital & Clinics
Research Description: Dr. Park is a clinical and translational investigator of pancreatic disorders with specific projects on acute pancreatitis, chronic pancreatitis, pancreatic cysts, and early detection strategies for pancreatic cancer. He has investigated the natural history of chronic pancreatitis including predicting which patients will develop diabetes, developing and validating cyst-based biomarkers for early diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, and developing novel approaches for the early detection of pancreatic cancer. He is the Contact PI on a UO1 with Drs. Habtezion and Kim (co-PIs) in a multi-institutional consortium organized by NIDDK/NCI to investigate mechanisms linking Chronic Pancreatitis, Pancreatogenic Diabetes and Pancreas Cancer (CPDPC). He is also co-leader of the Ancillary Studies section of this CPDPC consortium. The focus of the UO1 studies at Stanford is to identify diagnostic biomarkers for chronic pancreatitis, so-called type 3c diabetes, and early-stage pancreatic adenocarcinoma (see below): as such he and these other investigators will use SDRC cores as listed. Dr. Park is also a leader of the current efforts establishing a human islet auto-transplantation program at Stanford, with Drs. Kim, Visser, Thakor and Meyer, and leadership of the Stanford University Hospital and Clinics.
Selected relevant publications (Stanford DRC Members in BOLD):
- Park WG. Clinical Chronic Pancreatitis. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2016; Jun 22 (epub ahead of print) PMID: 27341355
- Tun, MT, Pai, RK, Visser, B, Norton, J, Poultsides, GA, Banerjee, S, Van Dam, J, Chen, AM, Friedland, S, Scott, B, Verma, R, Lowe, AW, Park, WG. The Diagnostic Utility of Amphiregulin in Pancreatic Cysts. BMC Gastro 12:15, 2012.
- Park, WG, Wu, M, Bowen, R, Zheng, M, Fitch, WL, Pai, RK, Wodziak, D, Visser, BV, Poultsides, GA, Norton, JA, Banerjee, SB, Chen, AM, Friedland, S, Scott, BA, Pasricha, PJ, Lowe, AW, Peltz, G. Metabolomic Markers Differentiate Mucinous from Non-Mucinous Pancreatic Cysts. Gastrointest Endosc 78:295-302, 2013.
- Zikos T, Pham K, Bowen R, Chen AM, Banerjee S, Friedland S, Dua MM, Norton JA, Poultsides GA, Visser BC, Park WG. Cyst Fluid Glucose is Rapidly Feasible and Accurate in Diagnosing Mucinous Pancreatic Cysts. Am J Gastroenterol 110:909-14, 2015.
- Quan SY, Visser BC, Poultsides GA, Norton JA, Chen AM, Banerjee S, Friedland S, Park WG. Predictive Factors for Surgery Among Patients with Pancreatic Cysts in the Absence of High-Risk Features for Malignancy. J Gastrointest Surg 19:1101-5, 2015.